
The barbed wire fence that surrounded us in the stands.


We decided to attend a soccer game in La Planta, which is located about a hour outside of Buenos Aires. It was the semifinals for the biggest tournament in the country. The instructions that were given to us before the game were as follows: if someone is in your seat or spot don´t argue with them because you will put yourself in grave danger, do not cheer for the other team because you will die, cheer and chant with the crowd or they will get angry, and finally, do not use your cameras outside the stadium because they do not like tourists. To sum up these words of caution...these people are crazy. To start the game people were shooting fireworks, chanting, jumping, and throwing anything they could get their hands on into the air. During the game, I extended my Spanish vocabulary with several colorful new curse words and phrases to express complete derision towards the ref. Some other random observations I had during the game include the use of the expression ¨ooo¨ instead of ¨oh¨ whenever there was a near miss and in the place of boo´s each person began to whistle. The riot police were in constant vigilance and fully armed with shields, tear gas guns, and K9´s. It was incredible to be a part of a solid mass of people that displayed such passion and excitement for their home team. I found myself getting swept up in emotions for a team I just heard about yesterday.


This is the biggest church in Argentina. It is located in La Plata.




These are pictures from our visit to Colonia, Uruguay. It was a small European influenced town built in the early 1800´s. Many of the original stone buildings and cobblestone roads have been preserved.
Futbol! That's awesome. Also, the photo of the inside of La Plata church is amazing. Once again, I'm jealous. I guess I'll just dry my tears with the Blink 182/Weezer/Taking Back Sunday tickets I'm holding.
ReplyDeletevocab is vocab. keep learning!! miss ya bro!
ReplyDelete